Tuesday 18 January 2011

Glee: 'It's Britney, bitch.'


I dipped in and out of the first series of Glee, in to watch the performances, out when anyone, except Sue Sylvester, spoke. The story lines were a seemed samey; oh will Finn and Rachel get together? Will Emma and Mr. Shu get together? Will Puck and Quinn get together? Yawn, yawn, YAWN. Jane Lynch is, of course, excellent as acid tongued Cheerios coach, Sue Sylvester but the show loses it's dry wit when sappy sentiment seeps through to the surface. However, as the themed episodes are usually the best and certainly the most anticipated, I thought I'd give Britney week a go. And, it. Was. Awesome.

A dose of nitrous oxide from the school dentist provides the perfect vehicle for the Glee kids to re-enact Britney videos, beginning with the aptly named, Britney performing 'Slave for You' better than actual Britney. She also gets some of the best lines of the week, for example:

Looking around the dental surgery: 'This looks like the room on that spaceship where I got probed.'
About Jacob's hair: 'It looks like a Jewish cloud.'
And the line they ALL wanted to say: 'It's Britney, bitch.'

Brilliant. I forgot how good Glee-Britney was so I've made a revision, I only want the singing and dancing with Sue and Glee-Britney talking in between. Got it? Got it.

'Toxic' ending in the 'Britney Spears sex riot' was another highlight, as was Artie singing 'Stronger' with Football team as his backing dancers. Britney Spears herself makes a few cameos, popping up here and there looking a-maz-ing. Good hair.

As for the central relationship between Rachel and Finn, NEXT! Are they on? Are they off? Are they right for each other? Are they boring me? Yes. Sure, I knew couples like that at my High School and they bored me too. Please try and hash out your relationship when no one's looking, thanks. Back to what I was saying before about the worst parts of the show being the achingly sincere performances or monologues, case and point is the ending to this weeks Glee when Rachel sings that song dedicated to her boyfriend and cries without actually wavering on any notes. Eugh. Couldn't they have ended on Kurt singing a version of 'Womaniser' to Finn? Glee should always go out dancing.

Anyway, despite being annoyed by some aspects of the show and it's characters, I do feel I may have judged Glee too harshly and am prepared to eat humble pie while watching the second series. Expecting amazing story lines along with brilliant musical numbers every week is unrealistic and not why most people watch Glee. I just can't help myself, it's addictive. I've got the GLEEver, I'm GLEE-sick (sorry).

No comments:

Post a Comment